December 18, 2008

Politics

The following story is as related by my husband who overheard the conversations while mom was out of town.

During the months of October and November, the grade schools were full of discussions on the Presidential candidates. On the way home from school one day, the boys were apparently discussing the pros and cons of both.

Sam: “McCain is going to have lower taxes so that we can have more money.”

Isaac: “You know what I heard? I heard that if Obama gets elected he is going to take away all of our toy guns.”

Sam: “Yeah, but he’s OK. Did you hear that he likes Harry Potter?”

A few days later, my husband was watching TV prior to going to bed. The boys were quietly and intensely working together near the toy closet. When the bedtime hour struck, my husband stood up and walked to where the boys were playing.

He observed Isaac holding a piece of scrap wood to which he was applying nails and electrical tape.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“I’m making a gun,” our youngest said. “If Obama is elected, he’s not going to get any of my toy guns!”

President Elect Barack Obama is now elected. I am happy to report that, so far, all of our Nerf guns are still where they were before the election. Last I checked, it appeared that they were still on Walmart shelves as well.