July 6, 2008

WALL E

Irony. Definition: 1) Humor based on opposites, 2) something humorous based on contradiction, 3) incongruity

We just saw WALL E Fantastic movie, everyone should watch it – an honest to goodness, against all odds, unlikely, underdog kind of everyman hero movie. I laughed, I cried. The boys had a great time. I was glad we spent the $18 after the short cartoon about the fight between the prestidigitator and his bunny. Pixar has done it again. They rock.

And, the movie definitely had a message. You have to be pretty dim to not be slapped sideways on the face with a futuristic – but not all that far-fetched – kind of vision of the future. How scary. A future where earth is so trashed, we make it inhabitable. We have to evacuate and leave the clean up to WALL E robots. And then we become a race of blobs totally absorbed in electronic worlds – so absorbed we loose touch with our surroundings. Living our whole life on a spaceship and not even noticing that it has a pool, constantly sucking dessert through a straw.

As luck would have it, this time we didn’t have time to stop at the refreshment counter to get our normal gob of candy, popcorn and soda before the movie. When the lights came up in the theater, I was able to walk out with some of my dignity intact.

I noticed every single piece of trash on the road back home. I drove by Walmart and thought of all the ridiculous, unnecessary “stuff” that comes back to our house from that location. I stopped myself from saying “no” on principle to a Sonic stop for a sundae for the boys – calculating just how much exercise that they had gotten in the past couple of days. When the treat came, I was relieved to see it was served in recyclable plastic as opposed to the normal Styrofoam that comes out of those doors.

And then I looked at the dash of the car. Sitting there, larger than life was a blue, plastic, “WALL E” watch that both boys got on the way into the theater. “A gift,” the lady behind the counter said. “Thank Disney.”

My oldest was trying to set his to the right time – couldn’t get it to work. “This is a piece of junk,” he said. “Look mom, it’s made in China.”

Did they do it on purpose? I wonder…..