July 9, 2008

Vacation Pre-Game

Vacation Journal – PreGame

Did I tell you we are going on vacation? I am sooooooooo excited. I’ve been excited for a year now. I almost have as much fun planning for the vacation as I do going on the vacation itself! My itinerary is done. Roads and stops are calculated and marked. Reservations – where necessary – are made. Tickets are bought. Car is confirmed. Look out Smoky Mountains, here we come!

Three days and counting:
I’ve charged the boys with thinking about what they want to take in the car for entertainment. We’ve narrowed it down to their electronic, handheld game systems, DVD player, three movies a piece and a good book. My youngest also wants to take his coloring books and markers. My oldest wants to take his art set and sketch paper. Done.

I just talked my husband down from the purchase of a new suitcase just for the novelty of it. (See previous post about WALL E.) Have clarified that we will need two suitcases for the boys and one big one for the hubby and I. We will probably also take a smaller one for the trip down and back so we can leave the big one in the car.

I learned my lesson on taking tons of food to Yellowstone. I’ve located a grocery store near our cabin and we’ll stop there on the first day. For the trip down, I’m taking enough snack food and water for four days and packing a lunch and dinner for the first day.

The state books and maps are stowed in a bag. I’m working on my entertainment bag. I checked out three books from the library and bought the latest Janet Evanovitch. I ran across mom’s knitting bag that she always took on trips. My oldest wants me to finish the Steelers scarf that I started for him to teach myself how to crochet. I’ve made my list and I’m checking it twice. Three days to go.

Two days and counting:
Worked all day to get ready for the auditors. They will be showing up a couple of days after I return. Had a couple of meetings too. Tonight is 4-H. Fair entries are due this week so we’ve got to get those handed in for both boys. My oldest will be entering a photograph and a drawing this year. My youngest is making a blankie replacement for the one we lost at DisneyWorld.

One day and counting:
Today is laundry day. Laundry, laundry, laundry. More and more laundry. I had no idea how much laundry boys can produce….but they can really produce it, let me tell you. Tonight is church council. We have a new pastor and this will be the first time that I get a chance to really meet him. The boys are getting their football gear for fall while I’m at the meeting.

Done with counting, vacation begins tomorrow!
Today I picked up the car at Enterprise. We will be representin’ in a black Ford Edge. The gauge on the dash says that it gets about 23 miles to the gallon in town. Hopefully we can do better on the highway. Went to the grocery store to pick up the food. Stopped by Walmart for tic-tacs and gum. Tonight we packed, packed and packed and packed again.