May 19, 2010

Kansas?

A vacation in KANSAS??? Why? Why in the world would people who have grown up their whole lives in Kansas want to squander their precious vacation time on trips “just up the road?”

Well, this year Ross and I said, WHY NOT?

After our road trip around the Southwest last year we looked at the places remaining on our list and just didn’t feel the love. Maybe we’re tired of the big production. Maybe we just want a lower key summer. But I think mostly we felt bad that we had boys who have seen Old Faithful, but have never been to the Kansas state capital. They have junior ranger badges from over 15 national parks, but they don’t have one from the Tallgrass Prairie National Park right here at home. None of us have been to the Rolling Hills Zoo. None of us have seen the salt mines in Hutchison. These are things that we needed to fix.

Sure, Kansas may be the slightly weird, uncool kid in the United States classroom, but underneath that undervalued exterior is a state chock full of interesting things to do and see. And this year, the Hicks family is going to take a few weekends off to love and appreciate the great state in which we live.

But still, why is it that we don’t really think of it as a vacation. We leave tomorrow and the trip isn’t even registering on my radar. The hotel reservations are all made, the budget is crafted, library books are secured, the dog has a date at the vet, and the groceries and snacks are packed and by the door. All we have to do is leave. And I’m not worried.

Normally the night before the trip I’m a list making fool – checking everything. Do we have enough trail mix? Do we have our water bottles? Do the boys have enough to do in the car? But I’m not. I’m not doing these things. In fact, I’m thinking about going to bed a little early tonight.

And I feel a little bad about this. I feel like I am marginalizing my state because I can't work up some excitement. Have I fallen out of love?

Absolutely not. We are soul mates, Kansas and I. I’m not worried, because why should you worry about visiting a place that is so much a part of who and what you are? Why should you worry about visiting a place where you are so comfortable you can fall asleep on the couch?

Maps are not necessary on this trip, I know where I’m going. I’m going home.